Last Updated on Thursday, 01 June 2017 13:33
Our club is a proud member of FAWCO, and as a member of the American Women's Club of Hamburg,you are automatically a member of FAWCO! Founded in 1931, FAWCO is a global women’s NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), an international network of independent volunteer clubs and associations comprising 64 member clubs in 34 countries worldwide, with a total membership of around 12,000. FAWCO serves as a resource and a voice for its members; seeks to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide, especially in the areas of human rights, health, education and the environment; advocates for the rights of U.S. citizens overseas; contributes to the global community through its Task Forces and The FAWCO Foundation, which provides development grants and education awards. Since 1997, FAWCO has held special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council.
FAWCO is an international federation of independent organizations whose mission is
- to build strong support networks for its American and international membership;
- to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide;
- to advocate for the rights of U.S. citizens overseas; and
- to mobilize the skills of its membership in support of global initiatives for education, the environment, health and human rights.
Member Club Support
- News from Our Clubs: see what FAWCO member clubs are doing around the world!
- FAWCO Reps: provides information you can use to find out the ABC’s of being a Rep, how to contact your Regional Coordinator, Hosting a Regional Meeting and much more!
- Club Presidents: a page especially for Presidents of FAWCO member clubs, with useful information from the Presidents' Coordinator.
- Regional Coordinators: list of current RCs and their email addresses, RC Responsibilities.
- Club Profiles: links to one-page summaries of all FAWCO member clubs.
- Club Development: Resources, including Best Practices Library, Club Workshop and Club ResourceManual from the FAWCO network to help your club be the best it can be.
- Web Services: FAWCO's web solutions, such as Web Hosting for your club.
If you are an American living overseas you may have many questions about your rights and responsibilities. FAWCO’s US Issues Committees serve as a valuable resource to assist you with US Citizenship, Tax and Banking, and Voting from Overseas issues and to work for more effective representation in Washington. In fact, did you know that FAWCO was instrumental in the creation of the Americans Abroad Caucus? Learn more about this group of Congresspersons with a special interest in the concerns of US citizens living overseas, and find out a lot more by clicking on US Liaison. Have you ever heard of Overseas Americans Week? Discover what happens every year in Washington on your behalf.
FAWCO is a United Nations-accredited NGO (non-governmental organization) with special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council. FAWCO has representatives at UN Headquarters in New York, Geneva, and Vienna to disseminate information about the UN to FAWCO members, and FAWCO UN Reps are on the Boards of the NGO Committees on the Status of Women (CSW) in New York, Geneva and Vienna as well as on the NGO Committee on Migration in New York. These representatives attend UN meetings on behalf of FAWCO and focus on issues specifically related to women and children in the areas of education, environment, health, and human rights. Their mission is to:
- Act as a channel and resource of information for the membership.
- Encourage participation by Member Clubs in FAWCO's local and global NGO concerns.
- Coordinate and promote awareness among the Member Clubs on the following issues: Education, Environment, Health, Human Rights
- Arrange for speakers at annual FAWCO Conferences.
- Publish articles in the FAWCO FORUM and include related information on FAWCO's website and social media.
- Advocate for projects and laws that directly affect human rights.
- Represent FAWCO at UN sponsored meetings, seminars, conferences and committees.
- Send FAWCO representatives to the UN Department of Public Information conferences.
- Encourage, maintain and promote relationships of mutual benefit with other NGOs.
- Endorse UN principles, recognize it as a forum for the peaceful resolution of conflict.
Resolution #1 of FAWCO's Resolutions and Recommendations for 2015 - 2017 establishes our commitment to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide, especially in the areas of education, the environment, health and human rights. Therefore, our Global Issues Task Forces focus on these four issues.
- Education The Education Task Force informs FAWCO members about recent developments in the global effort to achieve universal primary education, especially related to issues in education for girls.
- Environment The Environment Task Force informs members about global environmental issues including air, soil and water pollution, species extinction, energy efficiency, conservation, waste reduction, and climate change.
- Health The Health Issues Task Force provides information on issues related to women's health and aging. In 2014, the Task Force launched Clubs in Motion.
- Human Rights The Human Rights Task Force keeps members aware of new developments impacting women’s rights, including United Nations updates, and engages FAWCO member clubs in awareness and action campaigns.